Writers in Harmony Forums
Welcome back to the herd ^_^
Welcome back to the herd ^_^
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a My Little Pony group made for writers, by writers.This is the place to chat, post ideas, artworks, or just talk about stuff.All crew members are free to use this as the please, try t

HomeThe Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes EmptySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Affiliates
free forum

Gallery
The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Empty

The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mareinthemoon
Administrator
Administrator
Mareinthemoon

PostSubject: The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes   The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Ok then a thing as a seamstress I know is costumes and what brony does not love dressing up as their favorite mlp characters at the con? If you want to dress to impress then look no further, The mareinthemoon has got you covered from wig styling and tinting to achieve the show quality look all the way to wings,horns,ears and the outfits of course. Within the next few months Ill be posting various tutorials on how to make costuming in varying degrees of difficulty complete with budget breakdowns.

everything from the begginer level to the wtf level. wtf covers pony mascot suits, a very very difficult task.

----------------
TUTORIAL 1
LEVEL- BEGINNER TO EASY
PONY WINGS.
MATERIALS: CAN BE DONE IN FABRIC,FELT,CARDBOARD,POSTERBOARD,CRAFT FOAM.

Now mlp pony wings are fairy easy to make depending on what you are making them with, for the beginner level tutorial on wings we can easily set the budget at around 20$ with change to spare
after.

STEP 1.

This is pretty simple for basic wings, first you are going to decide which pony type wings you are going to make. for this tutorial we are going to use Rainbow Dash.

The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Th?id=I4749212198439465&pid=1

Her wings are fairly simple and consist of 2 layers.

First you draw out the shape of the wings, the base outline only and not the inner feathers, this layer comes next. this Is your wing pattern block and can be used for any number of pony craft items.

Second, draw only the block of inner feathers so that when you lay the two patterns ontop of eachother they look like Rainbows wing.

now If you are making these out of poster board,card board, fabric or felt you simply trace the pattern onto the sheets of material and cut them out giving about 1 inch of extra around the edges.

Remember if you have too much fabric you can always trim it later, too little and you have to redo it all.

for felt,paper board,foam and cardboard all thats required is glue, I would suggest hot melt glue which is actually melted plastic and will adhere to most surfaces, be warned when using hot melt glue it is hot and can burn the daylights out of you, I have battle scars from mine lol.
when gluing foam however I suggest to use a standard glue, tacky glue, white glue, crazy glue ect. cold glues are best for foam. Heat melts and warps foam unless the foam is rated for heat proofing.

for Fabric wings sewing is required instead of cutting out one set per wing you need 2 layer one feathers and 2 layer 2 feathers per wing. sew the identical pieces together, stuff them with poly fill which is like 5 dollars at your local walmart or walmart.com. Make sure to close all ends after stuffing and then sew the inner layer to the back layer. this will create a soft plush wing which can withstand alot of wear and tear if sewn tight enough.

For hand sewing use the back stitch.
Just look up the instructions online, you will thank me latter!!!

my first hand sewing project was done in loop stitch which takes 2x more thread to be effective and not open.

For machiene sewing I suggest If you are using stretch fabrics use the handy strieght stitch and follow over with the zig zag or if you are lucky enough to own one use the serger.

ATTACHING

Now this is all about what you have on hand. You do not need a fancy harness for theese wings or crazy rigging either. that comes later In the moving wings tutorial.

for this one you can use...

SAFTEY PINS
do not underestimate their powers good for quick and easy attachment. one well placed one per wing and you are good to go.

VELCRO:
99 cent store sells the easy peel velcro strips, stick and go. Be warned sometimes they fall apart so coat the underside of the glue backs in more glue for a stronger hold.

STRAPS:

scrap fabric does wonders

get a length to go under the armpits so around your upper chest easily and 2 strips that go snugly around your arms, sew em together and tah dah.

on this you can also use an old sports bra..no underwires and snugly fits. guys Can use a-b cup sports bras with no issues.

ATTACHMENT:

You can aslo sew theese to a custom hoodie with the ears sewn onto the hood. My pal does his RD with the mane attatched to the hood, the tail at the base of the hoodies lower hem line and wings on the sholderblades. the sides is where he sewed on the cutie marks. looks epic and a half believe me.

So thats pretty much it for easy wings, the moving wings tutorial will be the Celestia wings. They open and close and are rated advanced on difficulty.

HAVE AN IDEA THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THE NEXT TUTORIAL? PM ME.
Back to top Go down
Cast
Founder
Founder
Cast

Character sheet
Character Sheet:

PostSubject: Re: The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes   The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 3:55 am

this is great mare, would you mind if I post this to a new tutorials area? would love to get all kinds of pony tutorials from cosplays and making pony's, to art and writing for every pony. and this is perfect for the new area!

Back to top Go down
https://writersinharmony.forumotion.com
Mareinthemoon
Administrator
Administrator
Mareinthemoon

PostSubject: Re: The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes   The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 4:20 am

I dont mind at all Very Happy Ill probably come up with more costume ideas and then assorted crafts for everyone to enjoy.

even some pony party ideas....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes   The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Cosplay guide- The tutorial on MLP FIM costumes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Writers in Harmony Forums :: Pony Art-
Jump to: